Senior Research Officer vacancy in LEGFF, Washington DC apply now.
Join the IMF as a Research Officer/Senior Research Officer in LEGFF, contributing to high-quality legal advice on financial and fiscal law.
This contractual position offers the chance to shape the future of legal policy formulation globally.
If you’re a legal professional with expertise in areas like central banking, payment systems, tax, and more, don’t miss this opportunity.
Senior Research Officer vacancy in LEGFF, Washington DC apply now
Advance your legal career at the IMF and work for the world
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall direction of the General Counsel and Director of the IMF Legal Department, and the direct supervision of the Assistant General Counsel responsible for the LEGFF.
The successful candidate will carry out legal research and analysis to support the work of LEGFF in the fields of financial and fiscal law.
The main duty of the Research Senior Research Officer will be to underpin LEGFF’s advisory work on financial and fiscal law through specialized legal research.
By gathering, examining, organizing and sharing the research outputs with LEGFF management and counsels. In particular, the Senior Research Officer will:
- Assist the counsels in LEGFF with the research, review and assessment of laws and regulations of the IMF’s member countries in the fields of financial and fiscal law.
- particularly on the regulation and resolution of financial institutions, central banking, tax, public financial and debt management, financial market infrastructures, and including in the areas of fintech, climate and gender as they relate to financial, monetary and fiscal law.
- Contribute to legal policy papers in the fields of financial and fiscal law; prepare memoranda, reports and presentations on pertinent issues.
- Analyze and summarize relevant topics; and present research outputs;
- Monitor and analyze global developments and trends in financial and fiscal law, including in the areas of fintech, climate and gender, and brief LEGFF on major developments, including through reports and presentations and the organization of internal workshops and seminars;
- Develop, maintain and update legal databases, references and materials. In addition, the Research Officer will collaborate closely with the IMF Legal Department’s Knowledge Management Officer and other staff members of the Department with responsibilities over knowledge management, and may participate in inter-unit and intra-departmental meetings related to the above activities.
- Carrying out other assignments as instructed by the General Counsel or the Assistant General Counsel in charge of LEGFF, the Deputy Division Chiefs of LEGFF, or a counsel designated by the Assistant General Counsel.
An advanced university degree or equivalent in law or other relevant fields.
A university degree, or equivalent, supplemented by a minimum of six years of relevant professional experience in the legal field, which may include work in the areas of legal research and/or academia.
Professional experience in some specialization in financial or fiscal law, or comparative law, would be preferred.
The successful candidate will have a good understanding of the IMF’s role in the global financial system, its activities and operations, and its contribution in shaping international standards and legal frameworks underpinning financial stability and fiscal frameworks.
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required, and additional proficiency in other languages will also be a plus.
The successful candidate will also possess strong analytical and time management skills, sound legal judgment, demonstrated initiative and adaptability, and an ability to work with minimal supervision.
A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels and of different cultural backgrounds, as well as effectively in inter-disciplinary teams, is also required.