Opportunity at IDB Director for the Office of Evaluation and Oversight in Washington – Apply by 12/19/2023.
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is inviting dynamic leaders to apply for the position of Director of the Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE) in Washington, USA.
- Opportunity at IDB Director for the Office of Evaluation and Oversight in Washington – Apply by 12/19/2023
- Purpose of the Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE)
- Main responsibilities of the OVE Director
- Reporting line
- Managing relations with the Boards of Executive Directors and Management:
- The OVE Director should be an executive with a strategic focus, possessing the following characteristics:
- Type of contract and duration
- to apply visit the official site
- For more UN jobs, scholarships and internships
As the leading source of development financing for Latin America and the Caribbean, the IDB Group is dedicated to promoting inclusive, sustainable, and climate-friendly development.
The OVE plays a crucial role in ensuring objective and impartial evaluations, transparency, effectiveness, and accountability in IDB Group operations.
Opportunity at IDB Director for the Office of Evaluation and Oversight in Washington – Apply by 12/19/2023
If you have a passion for impactful evaluation and can drive positive development outcomes, apply by 12/19/2023 to lead the OVE team and contribute to the IDB Group’s mission.
Purpose of the Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE)
- The primary objective of a strong independent evaluation function is to improve the development effectiveness, relevance, sustainability, and efficiency of the IDB Group’s interventions in the countries and as members of the multilateral system. In order to do so, OVE’s work contributes to both accountability for development results and continuous learning and improvement.
- To this end, OVE conducts independent, systematic evaluations of specific projects and programs, country programs, sector, thematic, and corporate matters, as well as oversight studies on the IDB Group’s country strategies, performance, and development effectiveness, presenting reports containing its findings and recommendations to the Boards of Executive Directors of the IDB and IDB Invest.
- OVE also provides support to the Boards of Executive Directors of the IDB and IDB Invest in its oversight duty and provides inputs for Board deliberations.
- These outputs aim to provide useful, professional, and impartial perspectives on the performance and development effectiveness of the IDB Group, which are submitted to the Boards of Executive Directors and disclosed to the public, in accordance with the IDB and IDB Invest Access to Information Policies and the corresponding guidelines, thus contributing to institutional transparency and the learning of operational personnel and the development community at large.
- A central result of the evaluation function is incorporating the conclusions and findings of the evaluations into lessons learned and recommendations aimed at improving activities under way, the updating of strategies, and the design of new programs, policies, and operations. To this end, OVE promotes the establishment of a collaborative learning environment, thanks to constant feedback, while contributing to the IDB Group’s institutional learning cycle.
- It is also tasked with ensuring adequate dissemination and use of lessons learned in the context of the Group’s evaluation system.
- Thus, recommendations for improvement can be considered in the design, analysis, and execution of new operations, as well as in the formulation of new strategies, policies, and procedures.
Main responsibilities of the OVE Director
- Lead and develop an independent evaluation office with relevant experience, committed to the highest quality standards, and focused on efficiency and effectiveness in the use of resources.
- In accordance with Bank policies, regulations, and procedures, manage OVE’s personnel, budget, and work program under the oversight of the Policy and Evaluation Committee of the IDB Board of Executive Directors (PEC).
- Manage the OVE budget and work program applicable to IDB Invest under the oversight of the Committee of the Board of Executive Directors of IDB Invest and in accordance with IDB Invest policies, regulations, and procedures.
- The Director leads an Office of approximately 56 permanent and contractual employees (36 staff and 20 consultants), including research fellows, and a total 2023 budget for the Office of US$9.2 million in the IDB and US$1.5 million in IDB Invest.
- Based on the guidance of the IDB Group Boards, prepare an ongoing multiyear work program that is flexible and timely for decision-making, setting proposed priorities for evaluation, outputs, and activities. In addition, propose annual budgets to execute the proposed work program and present both to the corresponding Boards for their consideration.
- During preparation of the work program, the OVE Director will contact IDB Group Management and other stakeholders to set deadlines for delivery of evaluations and outputs, among other priorities The IDB Policy and Evaluation Committee and the IDB Invest Committee of the Board of Executive Directors will be kept abreast of any changes made to the deadlines for delivery of evaluations and outputs.
- Lead evaluations to assess whether the IDB Group’s programs, policies, strategies, interventions, and oversight activities are producing the expected results.
- The OVE Director is responsible for the content, quality, and recommendations of the evaluation reports and for the timely delivery thereof within the established deadlines.
- These reports are presented to the respective IDB and IDB Invest Boards for their consideration and endorsement of recommendations.
- Hold final authority and responsibility for the content, quality, and timely delivery of OVE’s outputs (their process, methodology, and recommendations), and the achievement of the Office’s long-term goals and annual targets.
- Protect the independence of the evaluations and allow an adequate level of consultation with Management and other relevant stakeholders, as well as obtaining inputs from these parties.
- OVE operates under a mandate by the Boards of Executive Directors of the IDB and IDB Invest, is independent from Management, and reports directly to the Boards.
- The OVE Director will report directly to the IDB Board of Executive Directors through PEC and to the IDB Invest Board of Executive Directors through its Committee of the Board of Executive Directors.
- Although PEC is the main channel of communication between the IDB Board and the Office of Evaluation and Oversight, and the Committee of the Board of Executive Directors is the main channel of communication between the IDB Invest Board and OVE, there is also a close relationship between OVE and the Programming Committee, and when applicable, with other Committees of the Boards and the MIF Donors Committee.
- As part of its communication with the Programming Committee and the IDB Invest Committee of the Board of Executive Directors, OVE is responsible for providing the Committees with outputs (evaluations and reviews) of country programs in a timely fashion.
- The annual performance review of the Director of OVE will be undertaken by the PEC Chairperson, in coordination with the Chairperson of the Committee of the Board of Executive Directors of IDB Invest, as well as with the Chairpersons of the Programming Committee and the Organization, Human Resources, and Board Matters Committee, in accordance with Bank procedures.
- The review will include analysis of leadership and communication skills, management of human and financial resources, and timely delivery of the work program.
Managing relations with the Boards of Executive Directors and Management:
- The OVE Director will maintain proactive, collaborative, and constructive working relationships with the Boards of Executive Directors and Management and act in furtherance of a constructive evaluation system.
- Discussions with Management prior to, during, and following all evaluations are needed to strengthen learning and improve efforts to harmonize the evaluation function and relevance of evaluation findings.
Key eligibility criteria:
The OVE Director should be an executive with a strategic focus, possessing the following characteristics:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the economic, social, and cultural framework of Latin America and the Caribbean. Experience in relevant work in the region is an asset.
- An independent thinker, with a high degree of professional integrity, having earned the respect of other professionals in the area of policy design and evaluation.
- Sound analytical capabilities combined with experience in development and evaluation of policies and programs using impact evaluation methods applied to development, the private sector, and public policies.
- Knowledge or experience in the area of investment and finance in the public and private sectors and with international development agencies.
- Knowledge and experience with the work of multilateral development institutions are an asset.
- At least a master’s degree or equivalent advanced level degree in economics, finance, engineering, administration, or a related field.
- At least 15 years of relevant experience, preferably with 10 years at the international senior leadership level.
- Academic publications in relevant fields are advantageous.
Advanced professional proficiency, both oral and written, in either English or Spanish is required, along with full command of the other language. Working knowledge of a third IDB Group language (Portuguese or French) is desirable
- You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries . We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Type of contract and duration
- The Director shall be selected and appointed by t he IDB Board of the Executive Directors for a single term of six ( 6) years.