Senior political affairs officer role in Geneva apply now.
Elevate your diplomatic career with the SENIOR POLITICAL AFFAIRS OFFICER role at the United Nations Office at Geneva.
This temporary position, situated in the Political Affairs and Partnerships Section, is your ticket to influencing global diplomacy.
Work closely with the Chef de Cabinet, engage in strategic initiatives, and contribute to shaping international relations.
SENIOR POLITICAL AFFAIRS OFFICER Role in Geneva apply.
Don’t miss this opportunity to be a diplomatic trailblazer. Apply by December 25, 2023
Under the supervision of the Chef de Cabinet of the Director-General, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties
Provides policy advice and coordinates provision of political support to the Director-General (DG) by:
- Researching and analyzing political developments in international and regional affairs and their relationship with developments in the UN system.
- Identifying trends and potential challenges and contributing to the formulation of United Nations policy in this regard.
- Keeping the DG informed on political issues of relevance to his/her mandate and providing policy advice in this regard, proposing options and providing recommendations.
- Providing policy advice for the DG in connection with his/her meetings with political dignitaries and high-level officials and coordinating the drafting and provision of material for preparation and follow-up.
- including background notes, briefing papers, talking points, reports to the Secretary-General and notes.
- Coordinating the DG’s relations with regional organizations based in Europe and overseeing the planning and organization of meetings involving UNOG in this area.
- As UNOG representative, contributing to political coordination mechanisms, including the Executive Committee for Peace and Security.
- Acting as focal point for the organization of political meetings held at UNOG.
Professionalism: In-depth knowledge of political issues as they relate to the United Nations including with respect to the Organization’s work with regional organizations and inter-agency affairs.
Solid knowledge of the work of the United Nations and of the functioning of the United Nations system is essential.
Demonstrated ability to provide policy advice and recommendations on political issues to high-level officials.
Ability to produce analytical reports and papers on political trends and their implications for the United Nations, and to review and edit the work of others.
Ability to develop and maintain contacts with a variety of stakeholders relevant to the political work of the Organization. Shows pride in work and in achievements.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remains calm in stressful situations.
Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of all areas of work.
demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
An advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate) in international relations, political science, social sciences, communications or related fields is required.
A first-level or higher degree (Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree) in any field of studies in combination with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in line of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible work experience in international relations, political affairs or related area is required.
Three years of experience at the international level in fields requiring political analysis, provision of policy advice, assisting senior officials to articulate policy is required.
Experience in partnership-building and the Organization’s work with external partners, including non-governmental organizations is desirable.
Experience in planning and executing large-scale events in collaboration with external partners is desirable. Experience in managing teams is desirable.