The Berlin Scholarship Program in Germany 2024 emerges as a beacon for journalists facing digital threats. This fully-funded initiative by the Berlin State Department for Economics, Energy, and Public Enterprises aims to equip reporters from war zones and crisis areas with essential cybersecurity skills.
Application Deadline: December 04th 2023 at 23:59 (Central European Time).
Reporters Without Borders Germany is calling for applications for its Berlin Fellowship Program: Empowering Journalists in the Digital Field. From May 2024 until the end of October 2024 six journalists from crisis areas will be invited to Berlin for a period of six months.
Requirements for Berlin Scholarship Program 2024 in Germany | Apply Now
Professional journalists, bloggers, media professionals and citizen journalists who
- are exposed to digital threats of any form and
- experienced digital violence such as doxing or impersonation and
- want to educate themselves about digital security in order to improve their personal security and the safety of their sources and
- are interested in passing on the knowledge acquired during the scholarship program to colleagues in their home regions and, ideally, already have some experience in teaching or other areas of knowledge transfer and
- are able and willing to fully participate in the program. We expect the applicants to be available for all activities of the program including the comprehensive training for digital security. Please plan with about 20 to 25 hours per week during the training period.
- In the selection process, positive consideration will be given to applicants who work as investigative journalists on topics such as the climate crisis, corruption, labor rights or migration
- Reporters Without Borders will cover the travel costs, take care of all visa-related matters, provide and pay for an apartment in Berlin for the duration of the scholarship, grant a monthly allowance of 1000€/month, pay for the health insurance and for the use of public transportation in Berlin.
- Every fellow will participate in an extensive training program in the field of digital security with experienced trainers for several months.
- Furthermore, during their stay in Berlin, scholarship holders will be given insights into the activities of Reporters Without Borders Germany, a globally-active journalist and human rights organization.
Period of stay in Berlin
The stay is limited to six months. It starts in the beginning of May 2024 and ends at the end of October 2024. The exact dates for the travel to and from Berlin will be communicated to the chosen participants.
If you want to apply you
- must have a very strong command of the English language, as the whole fellowship program will be conducted entirely in English and
- must have adequate experience working as a journalist, be it as a professional journalist or as a citizen journalist and
- must show a strong interest in learning in-depth about digital security for journalists. A high level of proficiency in regards to digital security is not required. Anyone who is used to working with a computer and smartphone can apply
- must be able and willing to fully participate in all activities of the program (see above: Who can apply)
If you want to apply for the Berlin Fellowship Programm, please fill out
Then please send the following four documents in four separate PDFs to apply for the program
- a completed and signed application form
- the completed questionnaire
- your CV and
- an identity document (ID or passport)