The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) for Young Professionals is a fellowship funded by the German Bundestag and U.S. Department of State, that annually provides 75 American and 75 German young professionals, between the ages of 18½–24, the opportunity to spend one year in each other’s countries, studying, interning, and living with hosts on a cultural immersion program.
The program consists of three phases:
- Two months of intensive German language training
- One semester of classes in one’s academic or career field at a university, technical or professional school
- Three to five month internship in one’s career field
CBYX is open to candidates in all career fields, and applicants from a broad range of backgrounds are selected for the program each year.
Eligibility Requirements for the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) for Young Professionals:
- U.S. citizenship
- Age 18½–24 on August 1st of program start year
- High school diploma
- Must exhibit clear career goals and relevant experience in their career field
- Experience can be in the form of work, internships, or volunteering
Applicants should also have a strong interest in Germany and world affairs. Prior German language knowledge is not required, but is preferred.
Current or recent employees (paid or unpaid), as well as their immediate family members, at the U.S. Department of State/U.S. Agency for International Development are not eligible.
CBYX participants come from a wide range of backgrounds and career fields:
|Automotive Design and Production|
|Baking and Pastry Arts|
|Banking and Finance|
|Brewing / Fermentation Science|
|NGO / Non-profit|
|Renewable Energy Technology|
|Trade & Logistics|
Please see this Eligibility Rules document for more information about previous program participation and employment rules.
Visit the official website here to APPLY
If you have questions about eligibility, please contact email@example.com.