Senior Finance Assistant vacancy in New York apply now.
Ignite your career in finance.
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) is actively seeking a Senior Finance Assistant in New York, USA.
This G-7 grade position offers a unique chance to contribute to financial operations and be part of a dynamic team.
Senior Finance Assistant vacancy in New York apply now
Join DOS in the iconic city of New York and advance your career in the heart of financial excellence.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Reimbursement Claims Management and Performance Section (RCMPS) of the Uniformed Capabilities Support Division (UCSD) in the Department of Operational Support (DOS).
The Office of Supply Chain Management includes the Office of the Assistant Secretary-General for Supply Chain Management.
Logistics Division, Procurement Division, Uniformed Capabilities Support Division, Global Service Centre, Aviation Safety Section and the Enabling and Outreach Service.
The UCSD serves as the single point of entry within the Secretariat for operational and policy matters relating to support and reimbursement to military and police contingents deployed to United Nations (UN) field operations.
Reimbursement payments to contributing countries are one of the largest costs of United Nations peacekeeping.
The RCMPS is responsible for the calculations, analysis, and processing of reimbursement to troop- and police-contributing countries on account of contingent personnel, major equipment and self-sustainment, as well as death and disability compensation for all uniformed personnel.
The incumbent reports to the Chief of RCMPS or the designated official.
Within limits of delegated authority, the Senior Finance Assistant will be responsible for the following duties: Budget:
- Acts as Certifying Officers on behalf of and in the absence of programme managers at offices outside headquarters.
- Undertakes reviews, analyses and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions
- Reviews, analyses and assists in the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects.
- ensures compliance with the medium-term plan and other legislative mandates.
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Undertakes research and provides support to higher level Finance and Budget Officers with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
- Provides input into the preparation of allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
- Prepares management information analysis and reports, and act as local process expert for Uniformed Capabilities Management. General.
- Keeps up to date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme and/or peacekeeping budgets, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Drafts or prepares correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment.
- Knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyse and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions, including programme development and database management, claims and treasury operations.
- Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems
Planning and Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary,uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in finance, budget, accounting, business administration or related area is required.
- The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to eight years for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
- Experience in an international organizational setting and in the application of policies, financial rules and regulations in a regulated environment is required.
- Experience in the use of accounting and enterprise financial systems is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
For the position advertised, fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of another United Nations official language is desirable.